January is always the most ambitious of months. It reminds me of that feeling I get waking up on a Saturday morning, full of ideas with the day’s potential ahead of me. Then I find myself still in my pajamas at 3pm, rewatching The Great British Bake Off, thinking maybe about starting a load of laundry. Here’s to the Saturday of months!
We’ve accomplished a lot to make our house a better home for ourselves in the less than two years since we closed. It feels very good to list out everything we’ve done, and especially to have pictures of some of these projects to share with you. We’re looking forward to a 2018 full of house projects and are very happy to have you with us.
2016 Project Recap
- We bought a house!
- Removed carpet from the stairs and 2nd floor + had all hardwood floors refinished
- Took down the wallpaper in the living room and painted it
- Painted and decorated the dining room
2017 Project Recap
- Landscaping – ivy and cluster of yews removed, window well cleared out, driveway ruts filled with shale
- Whole house central air installed
- Blush bathroom restoration
- Powder room remodel
- Painted the bedroom
- Living room furnished with rug in place
- Replaced ventless gas logs with new vented set
- Bought lots of rugs
- Made our home safer and smarter with “smart home” gadgets
- Finish furnishing and decorating the dark green guest room
- Figure out what to do about the wall behind the sectional in the living room
- Add a bookshelf to the landing and more book storage in general
- Make a plan for the sunroom
- Begin sending windows out for restoration
- Strip paint from front door and refinish
- New front porch light fixture
2018 Big Budget Item
Our plan is to tackle one large budget project every year, if we can handle it. In 2017, our big budget project was having whole house air conditioning installed. We’ve got a few ideas for what we might be able to do this year:
- Kitchen remodel?
- New driveway w/ retaining wall and a fenced-in yard for Penelope?
- Attic remodel?
- Ensuite bath remodel?
What’s the one big (or small!) thing you wish you could do for your home this year? And which of our “Big Budget” options would you like to see most here on the blog?